Monday, November 06, 2006

Weekend Wrapup

Well I needed to make a post since its been a few days and a lot of great sports happened this weekend. A few thoughts on the weekend to help me procrastinate from doing my work.

- The Eagles didn't play, which was definately good for them. At least Dallas lost, Giants are going to win the division easily at the rate they are going. Hopefully Eli is a bit like his brother though and chokes in the playoff in his young career. On that note, let me say this is Peyton's year. I knew the Colts were going to beat the Pats despite what everyone said about Tom Brady being so much better than Peyton Manning (see Bill Simmons). I think Peyton finally realized what he needs to do and this is his year to make things happen for the Colts. They have a solid enough time around him for that to happen as well. If Peyton does end up winning the AFC or even the Super Bowl, I'll say I told you so, but if he chokes again then well that pretty much will define his career.

- Penn State was supposed to be so much better this season then they turned out to be. Hopefully the defense is able to be good next year even though they will lose a bunch of guys. The offense isn't going to lose anyone except for Tony Hunt, who is a huge factor though and will be greatly missed. Poor JoePa and his broken leg, that's not going to help his side when he says he can still coach. I don't blame this season on him, I think he should be back next year at least.
- West Virginia had to go and lose to Louisville, they had the championship right there for the taking if they wanted it. Hopefully next year Pat White and Steve Slaton can improve even more at destroying defenses. I also hope that Rutgers beats Louisville because then that will be awesome to see the BCS try to turn away an undeafeted Rutgers team from the championship. Heads will roll on that one.

- The Phillies really want Alfonso Soriano. I don't know who's more serious about Soriano, Gillick or all the fans and media wanting Soriano, so I don't know how believable the stories about the Phillies going after him are. Gary Sheffield is being tossed around as possible player the Phils might acquire, he will be scary behind Howard, but I would much rather have the younger, more athletic Soriano. The Phils are also known to give Yankees more than they deserve in a trade and I wouldn't to see any of that happen in a deal for Sheffield. I'm thinking that there is about a 75% chance that Pat Burrell is not on the Phils roster starting next season, judging from all the articles about him. Apparently the Phils are willing to pay for a sizeable chunk of his paycheck. I don't whether I'd rather have play 3 days a week for us and get paid all that money or see him play for another team, do well, and pay a majority of his contract. As much as I want to get rid of Pat Burrell this has the lookings of a real crappy deal that does nothing for the Phils except get rid of Burrell.

- The Sixers are 3-0. I was all excited for this season to start and then I read all the preview articles and that got me pretty depressed about their chances, but look now they haven't lost a game yet. Playoff fever baby, ok maybe its a bit early for that.

- College basketball kicks off soon. I have a good feeling about underdog Philadelphia team Villanova doing well this season. Philly teams always do better when they are the underdog and unlike last year when everyone in the country knew about Nova, this team has the talent, but is pretty far from the national spotlight. I hope Florida starts off the year with a few losses, who actually likes that team? How are the rest of the Big 5 teams years looking? I haven't read much about them.

Well, I'm off to watch some Monday Night Football.
No, thats a joke, I don't think anyone is going to watch this game, the big game of the week was last night.
Tonight is the first round of Flag Football playoffs, thats where the action is tonight.

No comments: