Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bill Conlin's Batting Order for the Phillies

In today's Daily News Bill Conlin breaks down what he thinks should be the Phils lineup.
First off let me just tell you what he thinks the lineup should be.
1. Shane Victorino - RF
2. Aaron Rowand - CF
3. Chase Utley - 2B
4. Ryan Howard - 1B
5. Jimmy Rollins - SS
6. Pat Burrell - LF
7. Wes Helms - 3B
8. Carlos Ruiz or Rod Barajas - C

Conlin says that the emergence of Victorino as a solid candidate for lead off is reason enough to let Jimmy Rollins pretend to be Alfonso Soriano and bat further down in the lineup.

Batting No. 5 and playing short, Jimmy Rollins. I never thought I'd see a player with a chance to drive in 125 runs batting behind two of the top hitters in baseball act as if he's being dissed. Now think about this a little... Alfonso Soriano struck out 160 times last year. Pat Burrell struck out 131 times last year. Yet GM Pat Gillick was ready to lavish $120 million of Teflonics cash to make Soriano the guy "protecting'' Howard. Go figure.

Did you know that Rollins had only 10 fewer extra-base hits last season than Soriano (89-79), only 12 fewer RBI than the Nationals' leadoff man and struck out exactly half as many times while having a far superior stolen-base percentage?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. He also says the Helms and Burrell could be switched depending on the matchup. Also, maybe we'll get lucky and one of these catchers will become a great hitter as well.

I like the article because it does throw around some good ideas, but there is no reason to set it in stone what the lineup will be now. It can be adjusted all through spring training and even more so during the season.

It's just fun to be talking seriously now about the Phillies and not be waiting for next year. Next year is here, the time is now. Let's have some fun.

Bill Conlin | Calling the Phils' lineup to order

4 comments:

Skeeter said...

I personally hate Conlin. He is WAY to negative and lives in the past. He also hates my boy, Burrell, which angers me. He sucks

Overall I think his lineup is flawed. Victorino has not emerged as a leadoff man. He is like Rollins in that he doesn't take pitches or walk...only Rollins is a far superior hitter. Burrell behind Howard is how it should be. No matter who you put back there, in my opinion, the opposing team will walk Ryan regardless.

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Helms
Rowand
Ruiz

That is mine

GM-Carson said...

Fat Ted, I assure you Corey wasn't trying to offend anyone with his "white trash" comments on our blog. He was only trying to be funny.

furiousBall said...

I love this lineup suggestion. I think Rollins is a great ballplayer, but just not the ideal lead off man. If I was a major leaguer, I can't think of many better places to hit in any lineup. Behind the reigning MVP, are you kidding me?

I'm pretty psyched about the Phils chances this year fo sho

Old Fat Ted said...

I like Victorino's potential at the leadoff, has he proven he can be a leadoff hitter? no not yet, but maybe eventually. if burrell can be that hitter behind howard then i think rollins could be better used at the front of the lineup. it all depends on how everyone plays.
would i like to see victorino play great and get the leadoff spot, thus allowing rollins to hit wherever in the lineup? yea that'd be great