Saturday, June 10, 2006

Who Will Win

Which team will be able to hoist this trophy in a month. Predicting the world cup is just about impossible, but with this post I'll make my predictions on which teams are going to advance in the World Cup.

Out of Group A Germany and Ecuader will advance. Germany will just because its the host country and Ecuador has a solid team that looked very good against Poland. Costa Rica is just happy to be in the World Cup and Poland is just going to do their best not to get embarressed.
Group B: This is a tough group because I want to see Trinidad and Tobago advance but England and Sweden are also in the group. I'm going to go out a limb and say that Trinidad and Tabago will advance and the other team will be the winner of Sweden vs England game and Sweden will actually advance. Yes, England will not make it out of qualifying.
Group C: This is one is easy, I want to see Ivory Coast make it, but they just have the toughest schedule. Netherlands and Argentina will advance here.
Group D: Portugal is definately advancing out of here. The other team will be a tough choice, but I have to say Mexico.
Group E: Italy and the United States will advance here. Yes I know this basically the group of death and the US has no shot, but I stil think US will advance. It's just a feeling and a hope.
Group F: Brazil, a favorite to win it all, will surely advance. The other team will either be Japan or Australia and I think it will be Australia.
Group G: France and Switzerland will advance. I want to see Togo do well, but with the news about their coach resigning I think there will be too much distraction to actually do well.
Group H: Spain and Saudi Arabia will advance out of this final group.

I haven't really examined what the potential set up of the quarterfinals and semifinals will be to say how that will play out. But I think the teams to beat this year will be Portugal, Netherlands, and Brazil. If forced to pick a winner I'm going to go with the Dutch.
I'm still definately all out rooting for the United States though, so I guess they are technically my first pick to do well.

No comments: